Marked Qianlong, I'm assuming a newer copy...?

Started by tipton444, Feb 19, 2017, 12:17:59

Previous topic - Next topic

tipton444

Hello all,

This enormous bowl is in remarkable condition, obviously making it quite questionable.  I'm still new to the world of Chinese porcelain, but I know enough to know that it is marked with a Qianlong seal hallmark on the bottom.  I'm assuming this is a modern copy?  I know if it was a real bowl from the 1700s I'd be a very lucky man!  Can you guys tell me what the first basic characteristics you look for in antique Chinese porcelain are?  If so, when you do think this was made, as I know they have copied reign marks for hundreds of years?  Last 20 years? 50?  I'm a small but up and coming dealer and would love to learn, as I have been burned many times already by fakes.  I read that modern, or fake, pieces that have a red Qianlong seal mark can be a dead giveaway that it is fake, is that true?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

i66.tinypic.com/1glvzd.jpg
i63.tinypic.com/2enqcko.jpg
i64.tinypic.com/57hc5.jpg

heavenguy

Your first clue should be that real Qianlong period marks (M&P) usually are blue and hand painted under glaze not stamped as this one. Of course there is variations to this rule but for the most part this is the case. Most of the times Qianlong stamped marks are Republic period to later. But this type of bowl I think is really recent. I recommend  buying reference books if you are really interested in getting into this large and confusing world of Chinese Porcelain. This forum eBook is really accessible and teaches you enough to start identifying pieces and not what to buy.

There is a lot of factors in identifying Chinese porcelain such as, decoration, colors, shape, foot rims, marks, etc... Most of the times it can have a mark but is out of period, meaning it was created to "Honor"
older pieces.

tipton444

Great, thank you for the reply and help!  Starting with reference books is a great idea, I think I will search for some today and check out the ebook.  I'm glad I now know to stay away from the red marks, well, mostly at least.  Still a pretty bowl, so I'll happily find a home for it.  Thanks

heavenguy

It's not that you need to keep away from the red marks. There are recent 20th century pieces that can be expensive and have a a red mark.  But they are probably quality items from famous artist or rare  collections. What I meant with apocryphal Qianlong red marks is that they are made out of the 1700's years. But if you like the piece, please do enjoy it. Collect whatever you like. But if you are looking for monetary value, or to have a very value collection it's a nice idea to invest in some reference books. To find a real Imperial piece just laying there is very hard. Good Luck...

Stan

Imperial Qianlong marks are predominately blue but there are some red marks as well, and from the pictures you have they are to small to tell one way or another but the color looks 20th century to me and as Heavenguy has already pointed out the mark is stamped.

tipton444

Great, thank you very much Stan and Heaven for the help.  If you happen to check back, would you mind helping me with this beautiful porcelain platter?  I'm not familiar with the mark, can you help me identify it? 

i66.tinypic.com/f23pqr.jpg
i66.tinypic.com/xomlvp.jpg
i65.tinypic.com/ercznn.jpg

Stan

Made in the imitation of an antique, antique of the white cloud hall.

tipton444

Thank you very much for the quick reply!  That helps