Inside Ming Moon Flask

Started by Shepard, Feb 18, 2017, 13:00:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Shepard

Also, the rust spots are more of a brown moving into a yellowish sort of color.  But definitely different from the blue and white.  And, the bubbles are only discernible with a magnifying glass.  I didn't even notice them until I was looking for other things, ie: rust, blurry underglaze, heap and pile etc.  Okay, I will stop for now and leave everyone alone!  :)  :)  :)

Stan

Hi Shepard, thanks for the additional photo's, this is a very nice decorative vase, but the foot rim points to a modern piece, not very old.

Shepard

Thanks Stan,
Could you tell me something about the foot rim that makes it a modern piece.  Am just learning about this stuff and would greatly appreciate your input!  ie  I don't even know what a "rim" is!!!  lol  :)  Seriously I don't.  Thanks Stan

Oh, also, do they make these in separate sections.  There is a "seam" and not a particular good one I might add,  that runs parallel to the base half way up the vase?

peterp

This sort of item is not suitable for evaluation in this type of online forum. The pictures do just not have enough resolution and do not show enough details.
If authentic, its value would likely be at least in the tens of thousands, but most what is for sale are probably fakes. Top items located in museums or high-priced auctions always are used for making considerable numbers of copies.
A hands-on inspection by an auction house or museum would be more appropriate, because these are more likely to have seen or handled a genuine one.

Please note however that the partial picture of the bottom shows a foot rim and bottom glaze that do not look at all like Ming dynasty wares. To me the base looks more like a 20th century item, I'm afraid.
I would try to find out if the base of such an item could look that way.  Usually I would expect a flat foot rim (not rounded) and quite a different glaze if any.

Shepard

Thank you for your advise.  I appreciate it very much.  My pictures are lousy for sure and I won't bother anyone anymore since this is not the correct forum. I apologize. I did not know.  I took them with a magnifying glass attached to my cell phone with duct tape!!  lol  Just wanted some answers and  I got them, thanks to you all.  I just would like to say that the bottom of the vase is flat.  Where the glaze from the vase meets the table is where the non glazed part of the very bottom "rim" sets, if you can even call it a "rim" or foot, and it is flat.  The indent is on the inside of the very base and has sandy particles that can be felt and rough spots in areas along the inside of the indent.  I will take your advice and take it to our Museum at the Capital in our state.  And, I am sorry for taking your time. Once again, I thank you most kindly for your valuable time and consideration.  Thanks I learned a lot!  :)