Inside Ming Moon Flask

Started by Shepard, Feb 18, 2017, 13:00:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Shepard

What should the inside of an authentic Moon Flask of the Yongle period resemble?  Hints: should there be glaze "run" that looks like a so called brownish, hare's fur, but not so thick, and should there be glistening specks that have pooled at the bottom, but not a thick pool either and would the neck be added/applied?  Help!!!

Shepard

Hear is a picture if it works.  If not, sorry, will try again.

Shepard

Sorry guys.  Hear is a pic of the whole vase, one side.

heavenguy

Hello, The images are really really small to give an opinion. But 99% of the times this type of vases a re modern fakes...

Shepard

Sorry about the small images, not sure how to make them bigger. Had to make them smaller to be able to be accepted by the site.  Thanks for your input though!  :)

Stan

Hi Shepard, if you could post a picture of the entire bottom at an angle and a close up of the decoration, and any imperfections in the glaze, rust spots, glaze contractions, these photos should be clear and taken under natural light, this is important for determining age.

Shepard

Thanks Stan,
I will work on this today. Had planned on taking pics with indirect natural light of different areas of the vase today anyway. May not be able to send until later or maybe even tomorrow.  Look forward to your thoughts when I send them.  There are rust spots, one contacture as far as I can tell.  I will do my best on the photos as I am taking them with my cell phone and then have to re-size them in my computer to fit the 200 limit to send them.  Hope I can give you guys some excellent pics. May have to send them one at a time if that is alright?  Thanks for your time, appreciate it!!! :)

Shepard

Okay here goes.  I took these today.  I have resized them until they are 200 or less.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to make them better, aside from steadying my hands, ;) as I will try to do whatever will help.  The base pictures came out a little light but not too much.  The color is more of a buff, beige, yellowish, brownish, pinkish, well I guess we can just forget that :), anyway there are some of rust spots? convex area on foot? heap and pile? delicacy of incised decoration? etc, etc.  Will send one by one. Sorry for the inconvenience!  And, these may not help at all.  The last one is me trying to get a picture of the bubbles through out the glaze.  They are extremely fine, minute and dense.  Hopefully you will be able to see them or in other pics. Thanks so much.  Hope to hear from you soon!  :)

Shepard

Here are somemore.  Maybe rust spots?

Shepard

Shepard

Here is the base:  Only good one I got.  Hope it is good enough.

Shepard

Here is concave area on foot of dragon and maybe more rust where neck meats shoulder?

Shepard

some of decoration and close ups:  Possible rust out a little form the nostrils?

Shepard

More of base and what ever I did not post.  The last I tried to get of the minute bubbles.  The vase is loaded with them. sort of gives the decoration a "soft" look.  Had to take these with a magnifying glass and am still not sure if you will see anything or not.  Thanks again, let me know what else I can do to make these better.
Sorry had to take off base as it was too big.  Can resize if you want.  :/

Shepard

I think I can make these bigger!!!  I'll try.  but let me know if you think it will be a waste of my time!  Thanks.