Help with this Kutani mark

Started by Stan, Feb 09, 2017, 09:14:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

I have this vase that has a Kutani mark but I can not find anything with the same mark, could you tell me what the left side says, the right side is clearly Great Japan Kutani, thanks for any help.

peterp

Made by Seiran Hall or Shop. I think shop is more appropriate as it also can apply to a workshop, apart from a store.
Seiran is translated as 'indigo blue' by a dictionary.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I have never heard of Seiran Hall or Indigo blue, I will see if I can find anything on the names thanks again.

Stan

Hi Mat, I would like your opinion on this vase, I have never seen a Kutani mark like this one or decoration, it has a lot of Chinese influence, the pattern along the top edge and the dragons chasing a flaming pearl, is very Chinese but the only thing about the dragon is the head and the scales, I have several Chinese pieces that have this decoration that is around the top edge, the Chinese ones that I have I believe they are early republic, I have not been able to find anything like it except on ebay there is a Kutani vase that has the same decoration and mark but completely different shape, my question for you is have you ever seen a decoration like this or mark, I think it might be early 20th century, Your opinion and expertise is much appreciated. This vase is 45.7 cm tall.

Stan

Here are two more photo's for viewing, thanks again.

Stan

Hi Peter, here is another mark I found that is a little more legible, is this the same meaning ?

peterp

Yes, that is the same. Do in Seiran-do is difficult to translate because in English it would have multiple different meanings. Seiran-do appears to be (or have been) the workshop of Hasegawa Wakiyo, a Kutani artisan active in the Showa period. She also signed with his given name. It says she is 5th generation, so this might just be the pottery workshop of her family.
You should be aware that Japanese kilns worked in a different way compared to those in China. Apparently external workshops (independent or not) worked for a kiln, and may have used their own marks or sometimes combined the name of the kiln they were involved with and the workshop. Seiran-do may be one of these. So, this is still Kutani.

Here is a link to Kutani artisans, whose names are listed in the left table column. But it is inJapanese. At least you can compare the name characters when you search for one.  (kutani.co.jp/modules/content2/index.php?id=2)

Stan

Thanks Peter, that puts a date to the vase, Showa period, I found a picture of a porcelain censor with the exact same decoration in one of my Japanese books, but it dose not give you any information other than what collection it came from and it was classified as Imari, very vague, thanks Peter you really helped a lot.

Mat

Hi Stan, I have to search a bit, but as there are more than one generation of these Hasegawa, yours could be early 20th c, looking at the style, I think. If I find something, I will let you know. Gorgeous vase!
Mat

Stan

Thanks Mat, these pictures do not do it justice, I have a pair, the other has a different decoration but same shape and it has a simple decoration at the bottom, I will post a picture of it as well.

Mat

Please do! Just a thought, I do not think that Dai Nippon would have been used after WWii.

peterp

I agree with Mat. Maybe it was just another artisan of Seiran-do who did it. Hasegawa seems to be too late. It looks as if Hasegawa is sort of representative for Seiran-do crafted porcelain, a high profile artisan with many exhibitions.  BTW, it is a she...

Stan

Sorry Mat I thought you answered the post of the Satsuma vase I recently posted, I only have one of these, I wish I had a pair, but I do have a pair of the Satsuma vases. That is a very good point about the Da Nippon mark. thank you both for you excellent replies.

Mat

If you search for "Seirando", you will find a few examples. One big auction house had a pair of vases with tyour signature, they date their vases late 19th c.
Unfortunately they give no further information...
Here is one somehow similar vase in a small museum in Japan, again without explanations: www.sekiyou2005.sakura.ne.jp/shiryokan/dai4/

Mat

I also found a piece of that maker in a 1907 auction, so the workshop existed before that date:  archive.org/stream/b1503532/b1503532x_djvu.txt (if it is not ok to link this, please let me know)