Klapmuts Kraak bowl???

Started by heavenguy, Mar 31, 2017, 12:02:25

Previous topic - Next topic

heavenguy

Hello,

I bought this nice bowl. at first I thought it could be an Imari bowl but the tag had Klapmuts writing on it. The bottom parts looks Chinese while the lid looks Japanese. I don't know if the shape is what they call Kraak.

The designs on the bottom look Chinese but the lid looks more Japanese. Any information will be of much help.

Thank you very much.

heavenguy

las pics

thank you in advance.

peterp

The only that is Chinese are the bats and symbols on the side. Shape and colors are Japanese, nothing to do with Kraak. I wonder if the decoration could be Kutani?

heavenguy

Hi Peterp,

Thank you for  your quick answer. The decoration and colors looks more like Imari. Also, usually the lids for Japanese Imari or Kutani are inside the bowls or outside the bowl. This one has both rims  going in as a continuation of both lid and bowl. The shape is also very weird for Japanese ware.

Maybe is some type of Japanese export ware. I guess Stan can provide some help with this... =)

Stan

Your right the shape is a bit unusual for a lidded rice bowl, the Japanese were not confined to certain shapes like the Chinese were and so you can get shapes like this lidded bowl, Imari was a port of export during the 17th and 18th century for Arita ware and took on the name Imari, Imari is still being made today however your bowl looks like it has some age, it does not look like your typical Arita ware, the older usually has three to four ring out side the foot rim and one inside the foot, I would say this is late 19th to early 20th century, I can't really see any resemblance to Kutani and they were big on marking their items, could be Seto ware.

heavenguy

Thank you Stan, it really bothers me that I cannot find something similar. I have seen Imari with similar decoration and top lids but the klapmuts shape with the lid it's kind of new for me. I'll keep on digging to see what I can find about it. Thank you...

peterp

Thanks Stan, it was just a try based on the colors used. After all these years I can only identify a few of the older Japanese porcelain types.

Mat

Hi, I agree that this is certainly Imari, the shape is not uncommon and is called futatsuki hachi, and it is Meiji period...

heavenguy

So a futatsuki hachi it is. Thank you Mat. It's glad to know more about Imari and learning about a new shape.
Kudos!!