Another moon flask

Started by Claudio, Dec 07, 2016, 13:56:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Claudio

Hi Peter,

I have another moon flask. This time maybe easier to evaluate for the more normal bottom with a four characters (apocryphal ?) Kangxi mark. Could it be Guanxu?

Thank you!

www.dropbox.com/s/6lzakze0w8uiqdg/20161205_134546.jpg?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/8t1wnjo1of6qqwp/20161205_134730.jpg?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/8fha6j45eb65iul/IMGP6544.JPG?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/oxybk7i9kbi715p/20161205_134659.jpg?dl=0

peterp

Yes, I think this is Guangxu. I would expect a foot rim like this with the other one too...

Claudio

???? Peter, I hope I've learned my lesson, no more bad foot rims in my future purchases.

peterp

I did not say they other one is wrong (there are always exceptions from the rule), and my knowledge has limits. But it is safer to stay away when a foot rim is questionable.

Stan

I bought a couple moon flasks about three months ago at an auction, blue and white very similar to yours, mine are not very tall, 12.7 to 15.2 cm, I sold one of them and the other is in a box so I can't look at in right now but that was my opinion, late Qing and the person that bought the one said that the small flasks are extremely rare especially undamaged, I sold it for $500,00 since I purchased them I have been seeing a lot of them on the market and that makes me a little cautious, if they are that rare why is there all of a sudden manny of them around, the ones I have do not have the glassy foot rim, but the same foot rim, if mine or yours is fake they would be high quality fakes fooling even the best of experts, just a word of caution, I always get a little nervous when I see a lot of rare pieces within a short period of time.

Claudio

Hi Stan,

I think that if these late qing moon flasks were so much rare, their quotations on the market would be higer. $500 is a pretty cheap price for a still antique chinese porcelain of good quality. It proves that the item is not so scarce.

Stan

I bought both flasks for $90.00 at the time I did not know anything about moon flasks but I do know about blue and white porcelain, it is one of my favorites to collect, the Chinese collectors do not appreciate late Qing blue and white made for export so not a very high collecters value.