Trimmed top rim

Started by Claudio, Nov 28, 2016, 17:34:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Claudio

Hello Peter and Stan,

I would like to learn your opinion regarding the above vase. Could it be Kangxi or Guanxu? The top rim looks trimmed, was this always done to remove a dent or maybe also to adapt the neck for some particular lid?

Thank you in advance,
Claudio

Claudio

More photo

peterp

Neck cut off. From these pictures it could be either Kangxi of Guangxu, in my view. The colors are right for Kangxi. However, it would be necessary to check on consistency of unfired clay at foot rim, which may differ. This is not possible with these pictures, I'm afraid.
Are there any burst bubbles visible on the bottom?

Claudio

Peter, I need at least ten days to post more photos of the bottom because this vase is in my vacation place and I'll be back there after December 8. I'll try to take photos of the bottom with a macro lens to show bubbles if present. Thank you very much for your answer!

peterp

No hurry. I will be unable to go online due to traveling for a couple of days, at that time.
Try to catch the real white tone of the glaze too. It looks a bit too white in these pictures.

Claudio

Hi Peter,
Here three closer images of the bottom. How can burst bubbles be detected? What aspect should they have?

Claudio

Third photo

peterp

During the firing process bubbles develop inside the glaze. During the period from Kangxi to Qianlong reigns (only) some bubbles burst in the bottom area, leaving a semi-globular indent in the glaze. This is not always present, but it is mainly found in items of that period only.

They may be visible when viewed at an angle only, not from straight above.

peterp

Kangxi items would often have a more granular clay. It is more likely Kangxi revival (Guangxu).

Claudio

Thank you for the expertise and clarifications Peter. I'll try to find the burst bubbles in future.