Wanyu mark bowl

Started by wk, Oct 25, 2016, 16:08:16

Previous topic - Next topic

wk

Hi, I found this bowl with a mark I didn't know. Turns out it's a 'Wanyu' mark which has been used since the Kangxi period all the way till now.
From which period could this bowl be?
Is it collectable or not? Does have a hairline.
Thank you!

wk

And the foot

wk

I forgot to mention the size, it is 17cm x 9cm.

MythicalFoxes

i can't really tell if it really is porcelain. maybe soft paste or some kind of earthenware. the rim at the top seems to be iron? imitating silver? i have the feeling that it might be Dutch Delftware. the illustrations seem to be not chinese made. when you look at the faces and especially when you look at the first picture, what supposed to be a donkey or horse, its not really well illustrated in my opinion. this is what i think about it, might be different.

peterp

wk

That got me fooled pretty good then.

I also thought the horse looked funny but I have seen comic like horses before. The faces are off indeed.
Should have paid better attention. The dragon looks off as well?

MythicalFoxes

well you might be fooled into thinking it was chinese. but antique Dutch Defltware can be collectible. the Dutch already started imitating chinese porcelain in the 16th century. they didn't use porcelain themselves because they didn't know the recipe. but they used some kind of earthenware. now i really don't know much about Defltware besides that. i don't know how old your bowl is. could be 19th century but i am not sure.  the dragon illustration seems to be a mix of some kind of transfer print and partially handpainted. if you google "Chinese rice grain bowl" you will see a lot more porcelain bowls with an dragon inside and a wan yu mark on the bottom.

wk

Thanks MythicalFoxes. I looked at the rice grain bowls, there are some similarities indeed, although they seem new and this one doesn't. Perhaps this was their prototype ;)

I also found a video on youtube about VOC trade and how the Dutch tried to imitate porcelain, very interesting.