Old vase?

Started by wk, Aug 05, 2016, 00:11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

wk

I got this nice white glazed vase and wonder if it's authentic and what the period can be.
It's about 27.5cm/11 inches tall.

Thanks in advance!

peterp

The crackling looks old, but I have some doubts about the bottom. Also, not sure if there existed any vases that had this horizontal ribs on the neck, in old China. I would recommend you look also at SE Asian and Korean wares to make sure.

Stan

Thanks Peter for confirming the ribs on the vase, I never seen anything like it on Chinese or Japanese.

peterp

I have seen such ribs 'somewhere', but do not remember where. Many of what we would consider non-standard shapes were made over a thousand years ago; further many porcelain items copy shapes of bronze items of more than two thousand years ago (e.g. Gu vases). It is unlikely a Ming/Qing shape, though.

wk

Thank you, I will try to find some info on SE Asian and Korean porcelain.

Btw, there was a note in chinese that said 'ding dynasty' but I don't know if that's true or even makes sense?

peterp

I do not know of any "ding" dynasty. Must be a typo.

wk

Think so. I did find something on 'ding wares' in the late Tang and Later Jin dynasties. But couldn't find anything that looks like this vase.

peterp

Ding wares means made by Ding kiln. However, while Ding wares may be white, they do not have such crackling.

wk