Dai Nippon Kutani Vases

Started by bokaba, Jun 18, 2016, 12:18:11

Previous topic - Next topic

bokaba

Any information on these vases? I believe they are late 19th Century through 1920s. I think the base says "Dai Nihon Shimada Zo (or sei)" (Made in the great Japan at Shimada?). I think this mark was used principally during the Meiji Period (1868-1912) up through the Taisho Period (1912-1926). Was there a kiln at Shimada?

peterp

That would be "Hamada". That is the old character for hama (beach).

bokaba

Thanks Peter. Would my dating be correct? I can't find any references to Hamada other than Shoji Hamada who made modern art type stoneware in the 50s-70s.

peterp

Let's see what Stan says, he knows more about Japanese porcelain than me.  :-)

Stan

Hi Bokaba and Peter, I could not find the name in any of my books but what I can see in the photo's is a crackle glaze almond color that is usually found on Satsuma items, if it has a dull sound when you click it with your finger is is earthenware and not porcelain, marks like these were predominately used in 1868 to 1908, I think it would be safe to say that these are around 1900, if I find anything else I will post it.

bokaba

Thank you Stan. From what I can tell, the handwritten "Dai Nihon" marks were used widely during the Meiji Period rather than simply Nihon due to nationalism at the time. It appears there are hundreds of handwritten marks reading Dai Nihon plus the artist's name. I guess we would need to find out who Hamada was. There are others such as Dai Nihon Taizan Sei and Dai Nihon Shimada Zo. These handwritten marks appear to fit into the Meiji Period.

Stan

I like your Taizan beaker vase, very nice.