Old Chinese Pottery Bowl

Started by daddymac, Feb 03, 2016, 07:51:36

Previous topic - Next topic

daddymac

Sorry to bother this forum with such a minor item. My bowl is what I would call "pottery" and I'm not sure that porcelain is even the correct description. My story: The bowl belonged to a Chinese man who lived in Taipei, Taiwan and was about 65 to 70 years of age in 1973. He would visit my house in Taichung and bring this bowl with him to keep under the coffee table for a "spittoon". I brought it with me to the US in 1974 and he died approximately 3 years later. What I know is this: His family name was Su (my spelling of what I thought I heard); he had been in the army of Chiang Kai-shek and had fled to Taiwan in the late 1940's. I'm not sure where the bowl came from, China or purchased in Taiwan. Any advice? Thank you very much. Sorry, not able to upload from PC because of some internet setting. Will try later.

peterp

Post pictures, please. You should limit size to about 100 kB per picture.

daddymac

Sorry to bother this forum with such a minor item. My bowl is what I would call "pottery" and I'm not sure that porcelain is even the correct description. My story: The bowl belonged to a Chinese man who lived in Taipei, Taiwan and was about 65 to 70 years of age in 1973. He would visit my house in Taichung and bring this bowl with him to keep under the coffee table for a "spittoon". I brought it with me to the US in 1974 and he died approximately 3 years later. What I know is this: His family name was Su (my spelling of what I thought I heard); he had been in the army of Chiang Kai-shek and had fled to Taiwan in the late 1940's. I'm not sure where the bowl came from, China or purchased in Taiwan. Any advice?

Stan

This bowl was probably new when your friend received it, the bottom does not even look vintage in my view.

daddymac

I thought he may have brought it over from China to Taiwan and that may or may not be the case. In any case, the bowl has sentimental value as the old man is long deceased. I'll keep it as a remembrance of him. Thank you.

peterp

I think this is Taiwanese.
At least I see them frequently here (in Taiwan). Taiwan has/had a number of kilns.
A few did produce common wares, like the provincial kilns in southern China. I guess it is about 40s to 60s but might be earlier; these bowls are still  frequently seen but are not in use anymore. Most of such items had a simple decoration, some were transfer printed or stamped with a simple design.