Could this be Early Chinese Export Porcelain? 18th Century?

Started by david, Mar 28, 2016, 22:21:56

Previous topic - Next topic

david

Just bought this porcelain Trinket Box and was wondering if anyone might be able to help identify it.  The underside of the lid has an interesting texture and I was wondering what the purpose might be.  To strike matches?  To support the lid from sagging in the firing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for looking!

Stan

This looks like a modern 20th century item, just because it was hand made doesn't make it 18th century, there is a lot of porcelain coming out of China these days, all hand made and hand painted.

david

Thanks Stan,  Do you have any idea what the texture under the lid is for?  I thought that it might be quite old because of the wear and the crudeness (quality) of the piece (like the big discolored spot on the side). 

Stan

It looks like some kind of a rust spot, soap and water might take it off, I think that it was made to fool the buyer in thinking it is old.

peterp

There is nothing that indicates it is Chinese, neither shape nor decoration. The ship, its sails, and the painting style, are all western.

david

Thank you Peter.  Any idea or leads about who may have made it?