small doucai vase

Started by moska, Oct 27, 2015, 05:38:14

Previous topic - Next topic

moska

hello, what do you think about this small doucai vase ( 11cm high, 8,5 larg ) with xuande reign mark ...Thanks .

moska

the mark .

peterp

Looks like a more recent fake to me.
Doucai does not look this way. First of all, colors are not that dark. The filling colors do not cover several petals, for example. And, it would need checking to make sure that some of the thin outlines are not transfer printed.
The bottom looks wrong too. The foot rim is too dark, too broad and the glaze is not of that period either, it seems.

moska

Thanks peterp , more pictures , the brown is normal on the old porcelain ? Is it possible 19th ?

moska

And i find it on internet ...
During the Xuande era
( 1426-1435) , whereas
blue and white
are brought to the
perfection, bold color combinations combine copper and red
blue underglaze cobalt , compositions of yellow , green and red enamels on
covered

peterp

I would recommend to put some more effort into research. You will find that Ming dynasty doucai was extremely  expensive even in that period, and it was of better quality than this. Ordinary people could not afford this. The colors used were different. The base is different and the painting is more refined, not just color covering several petals or leave with one blob, but very carefully painted - normally.
Just imitating a mark does not make an item genuine.
The essence of doucai wares is that the blue outlines were fired as underglaze blue, then the other colors were filled as on-glaze colors and another firing would have been done. Colors were mostly light, not obliterating the blue lines below, as the red does, for example.
You should only look at the examples from "major" research institutions or museums, of Sotheby's Hong Kong (chicken cups) for reference. More than 99.9% of what is sold elsewhere than by major auction houses may be fakes. Some collectors have never handled a single "genuine antique" doucai item despite collecting for years, they are rare and not affordable.

moska

Peterp thank you again, I'm not saying that my vase is not a copy, I have no knowledge, I try to understand ... To me it is a beautiful print is because it's small vase , the underglaze blue and colors above, in addition to the signature, I could believe it! I understand that detects an expert on fraud. However, according to the last picture I would like to know if the ink has faded reveals an engraving of the dough before painting , or it's a transfer ! Either way it brown on the top and bottom is not consistent, and more, right? ...