Blue and white vase with tiny makers mark. Any Ideas?

Started by c4bubbles, Oct 23, 2015, 20:56:55

Previous topic - Next topic

c4bubbles

Recently given this in a house move and curious as to the makers mark/age?
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks.

LotsaStuff

There is a jar very similar to yours on Ebay with a sticker on the bottom that says 1998. Since we cannot see the entire item in your photo, I do not know if they are identical or not. Look for CHINA BLUE / GREEN PATTEN PORCELAIN / CERAMIC VASE Post-1940. I believe both are fairly new.

peterp

This does not look Chinese, and it is printed. No idea where it is from or how old.

c4bubbles

Many thanks for the info :)
Will check out the item on eBay.
The case is actually a ginger jar I think.

c4bubbles

Checked out the vase on eBay and the design is very similar although colours are different and the mark on the bottom is totally different. The ebay vase has lots of chinese marks but the mark on the bottom of my jar is very small and very simple. It looks like a little anchor or the number 64 depending on which way you look it. Also, my vase/jar is a fair bit bigger.
Wouldn't the makers mark be the same if both items are made by the same company.
Is it possible that the ebay vase is a later copy of an original design?
The mark doesn't look printed on top of the glaze, but rather a part of the glaze itself.
Very curious :)

LotsaStuff

To get a better idea of age and origin, I'd ask your friend who gave you the gift where they got it, or if they know anything about its age. Sorry I cannot be of more help.