Chinese white glazed vase

Started by Stan, Oct 01, 2015, 00:13:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, This vase is 25.1 cm high,  and what is not showing in the slight blue tint in the glaze, especially where there is build up of glaze, it is a cloudy fall day here in Oregon and the vase looks more graish than it is, it is a little lighter with a bluish tint, I am not sure of the shape if it is Chinese, it could be Korean, also note that it looks like some kind of tool was used inside to work the piece when it was turned on the potters wheel, the same tooling was done on the inside bottom can't see in photo's, I can rule out Japanese because the short foot rim, it has rust spots, glaze shrinkage and pitting, the inside is unglazed, just at the top inside is glazed, your expertise is appreciated, I will post 8 photo's to view, thanks for all you help.

Stan

Here is the rest of the photo's, also could you tell me how old you think the vase it, thanks again.

peterp

Could it be the potter's fingers making these traces? A tool would be a bit unusual.
If it is Chinese, it still would have to be made in at least two pieces and then fit together.
Not sure from when this is, but if Chinese at least mid to early Qing.
The debris sticking to the foot rim is unusual for Chinese, though. And there was hardly any after the late Ming dynasty. Usually kiln grit would not be as dense. Does it fall off if scratched?

Not sure if the base could be Korean, but some porcelain items have similar shapes, both in Chinese and Korean ceramics.

Stan

Thanks Peter, they would have had very small fingers if done by hand, I could barley get my finger in the vase, but I suppose it is possible, and the debris on the foot is not coming off, it is baked on and it looks like they set it on the foot when fired in the kiln, the dark spots on the foot are kiln marks.

peterp

If there was an unglazed foot rim, why should they want to use a kiln support? This is not typical for Chinese porcelain...

Stan

It is possible that this was set on another piece like a dish or plate and supports were added to make it less likely to make an impression of the whole foot on the other piece, thats my 2 cents worth, I can not explain why they, the Chinese or whoever would put supports on an unglazed foot, that would not make sense to any potter, right.

Stan

Hi Peter, on the unglazed foot there are black spots that are evenly spaced, could it just be that there was a pattern on the floor of the kiln and transferred to the plate foot or was there some kind of supports that made these marks?

peterp

The ceramic/earthenware supports used in China also did cause brown or black traces, actually, possibly due to the iron content of the clay. You just do not usually see this anymore in Ming and Qing porcelain. Did you try to remove it with a brush? If it comes off it is unlikely from firing. In that case it might have gotten on it later, due to contact with some metal object. But again, if it is from firing, then I have doubts about it being Chinese. The whole foot rim is unusual.

Stan

The dark iron spots are baked on, so if the Chinese did not use supports then it must be Korean, I just looked at one of my Korean vases with a similar bottom and sure enough there is the same black like residual substance on that vase as well, I just learned something about Korean porcelain, thanks Peter for your vast knowledge on Chinese porcelain.