Armorial Plate

Started by kardinalisimo, Sep 29, 2015, 09:16:59

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Mid/Late Qing? I guess it is a family crest and almost impossible to the id the arms with no history and provenance.

peterp

Looks like an 18th century plate, except the foot rim. Maybe you can upload an image showing part of the rim at an angle of about 45-60 degrees to show its shape?

Stan

Also a close up picture of the top outside edge.

kardinalisimo

Which top outside edge Stan?

peterp

Looking at the underside it seems as if we have to widen the possible scope of manufacturing.
This is quite unusual with such a bottom shape and foot rim. Specifically it is the straight part below the outer rim part. It should be rounded. And the foot rim does resemble neither the 18th century nor 19th century Chinese foot rims.

Although the decoration looks as if it was Chinese, we need to account for this too. I would therefore suggest Japanese or Chinoiserie as a second possibility, based on the unusual (for China) shape. Or, can anyone suggest something else?

kardinalisimo

Peter, can you edit the photo and show with a mark which straight part you are talking about?
I know very little about Japanese Armorial porcelain. Never seen one as it appears to be rare. If not wrong, Japanese did armorial during 17th & 18th C. I would think they would have their own patterns rather than copying Chinese designs. Plus, are the shape and foot rim Japanese? Unless, the piece is more recent and they copied Chinese style but did not quite match the shape.
As to the possibility of being European, I don't know. Meissen, Samson? They were pretty good in copying Chinese porcelain but not sure if were able to match the paints right.

peterp

Just look at the standard western soup plate. You have basically a shallow bowl with a wide, flat rim attached at its top, that is slightly slanted . The inner/lower bowl part is rounded. It is the area between the wide, straight, outward bent rim (in cross section) and the flat base.

Here there is no rounded bowl shape, just a straight line from the outer rim down to the base. If you look at the decoration, it seems to be the area between the gilt decoration band and the red double line. All Chinese export plates I have seen are rounded, not straight, in this area.

I do not really know if Japan did do such armorial wares, but European is a good possibility. To me Samson would be a good bet. Their copies of style seem to be perfect.

Stan

Sorry Kardinalisimo, I did not see your question," Which topside edge Stan",  in the front of the plate, a close up of the gold band that is near the edge, thanks.

kardinalisimo

Talking about this area?

peterp

kardinalisimo

I looked at some of the Samson armorial plates and they are shaped just like the Chinese ones, round. But their foot rims are somewhat different. Crown Derby and Meissen are also round.
So, have to be another maker.  I'll keep looking and if I found similar will keep you posted.