Made in Taiwan Republic of China lamp

Started by Stan, Aug 18, 2015, 01:55:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I just recently purchased this lamp at an antique store, The Hight is 49.9 cm high, It looks like like it could be republic period, when I took it apart I noticed it has a spurious Tongxhi mark which is under the glaze, it is all hand drawn and painted, the colors are very translucent and almost a light pastel color, I was surprised to see the made in Taiwan Republic of China sticker, that was stuck on the inside of the wood  top, dose that mean it was made as a lamp in the republic period? the vase decoration looks more like the 50's or even 60's design your expertise is needed, I will post 12 photo's, thanks, Stan.

Stan

Stan

Here are the last set of photo's to view, thanks for all your help.

peterp

Stan, I'm sure you know that it is 20th century, probably second half. Finely painted, though.

We still have the Republic of China, in Taiwan. On the mainland it was defunct in 1949, but here it goes on as the legal government name. Internally we now count the "Republic of China, year 104", that is 1911+104=2015. In 1911 the empire ended. This might als need some attention as 'early republic' items may be later in Taiwan.

Stan

Thanks again peter, my first assessment of this vase/lamp was correct, thanks for explaining the Republic of China label.

peterp

My apology, Stan. On further consideration I think that this can hardly be made in Taiwan. I don't know of any such wares made here, and the only manufacturer I know of which might have been capable closed down for perhaps half a century.
It may well be that the label is older than the item itself. It is easy to transfer such labels from other items, any items.

Stan

The vase I believe was made in China, the label was on the wood and the brass is old, could it have been made into a lamp in Taiwan? I can see a lot of caked on dirt inside the vase so it was not new when it was made into a lamp.