Bowl re-post with other photos?

Started by Megan17, Aug 14, 2015, 19:37:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan17

I posted about a week ago but did not get any replies. I realise that my photos were possibly not very descriptive, so have done some other angles.

I did say in my previous posts that the plate/bowl seemed to have quite a blue/grey glaze or possibly now looking even closer, a green/grey glaze. It's not white. Looking at the underside there is a sand-like residue on the inner part of the foot rim. It has a definite orange/rust coloured line at the edge of the glaze underneath near the rim. I'm not sure what else could be relevant.

I hope that the Dropbox link works.

www.dropbox.com/sh/dobcddzxq34b7vs/AAD-jRWgxmOvqiTOWHxXZQFfa?dl=0

peterp

Hi Megan,
I am sure that I posted an answer last time, so I am baffled that it is not there. Not saved properly, maybe...
This is a typical plate of the mid-Qing dynasty (about mid to late 18th century). The same apocryphal "Chenghua" mark is frequently found on many of this type of celadon plates of this period. Its purpose was decoration it seems.

Megan17

Oh awesome! I really appreciate your response Peter.

Was it usual to paint over celadon ware? The style of painting seems different to what I have seen before. Was it a provincial style?

Megan

peterp

Yes, that is quite common. This is a less refined painting style. Many similar plates of this period were painted this way, but there are others too.