Weird issue...

Started by Hans_TH, Apr 25, 2015, 00:23:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans_TH

Hello,

This might be interesting. Or not.
I have a vase with a blue mark on the bottom. This vase is a replica which of course has no value for the expert.
Last week I bought a pot with a different red mark, but with the same design as the vase.
I am just wondering what the story is behind these two different objects, that obviously do have something in common.
Are different factories using different marks, but the same designs? Who knows what actually happened here?

Kind regards,

Hans

Stan

They look like they were printed at the same place where they were made, and used different marks on the bottom, or it could just be a popular printed design.

peterp

Make a closeup inspection or upload partial pictures of the same decoration for checking if it is printed or hand painted. If completely identical, then it is. With hand painting the same decorations always show some differences.

Hans_TH

It's definitely a print. Not visible on the image of the vase, are the blue bands on top that overlap; that doesn't happen when they are hand painted. The bamboo picture on the pot lid is exactly the same, but smaller. So they just resized it.
If you want to see an image of the overlapping bands, I will fix that tomorrow by daylight - now it's dark.

Thanks for your quick replies.

peterp

No need for the picture. I trust you are able to judge that yourself.
In future I would avoid printed items, as they have little collecting value.  :-)

Hans_TH

You're so right. On the other side - buying crap is part of the learning process, and trying to get rid of it is quite a challenge.

Stan

The red and black vase looks interesting, not printed, looks like Japanese, maybe Kutani.

Hans_TH

It's Chinese. Maybe my picture was not good enough, I hope this one is better.
I guess the wooden stand is more worth than the vase.

Stan

Your right I can't argue with that, definitely Chinese, I purchased a couple of vases that looks like the design could be a combination of hand drawn and some printed, I will post them for Peter to look at, some times the Chinese used a pointed stick to draw with and it is very difficult to tell if printed or hand drawn.

Hans_TH

Yup, I think they first use a template, and then finish it by serveral hand techniques.

peterp

The Chinese mark characters used show that it is post 1960s, and obviously it is imitating Japanese styles.