Chinese Plate. Antique or just nice?

Started by Martiimum, Mar 04, 2015, 18:15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Martiimum

This is my favourite at the moment. It's larger than most of the stuff I have, weighs a bit more in the hand (sorry no weight recorded yet). It has a nice shaped edge, raised mark on back and a simple picture with simple colours. There's a bit of grime on the underside. I really love the design on this underside which is also raised. Approx 310mm in diameter.

My dad travelled to China a lot. His second wife was Chinese and he was getting in to Antiques before he died. He left a lot of interesting stuff behind but I have no idea if any of it is of any value, if it's real, how old or how much he paid for any of it.

I tried to read up about antiques but I've got years to go before I'm even half competent. Any ideas what I'm looking at here?

peterp

This is another low quality fake. Colors used, base and decoration patterns that never existed in antique porcelain. They could even mean that this was not made in China.

Stan

Thanks for confirming that Peter, I had doubts myself that it was even Chinese.

Martiimum

Thanks.

This explains why I can't find anything else like it anywhere. I've been very curious about it.
It'll still be my favourite. Whatever it is for whatever reason and from where.  Unfortunately maybe the sentimental value will probably be its highest value. I just love it.

This has all been a great learning curve for me and a little bit of fun. I've learnt more in the last 24 hours than i have since receiving them a year ago. i've been frustrated about it really.

I hope you don't mind but I have a whole bunch of 'chinese' stuff I'm dying to pick someone's brain about and you will probably hear again from me soon.