Tonghzi or Guangxu chinese warrior vase

Started by hoogenbosch67, Feb 27, 2015, 01:11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

hoogenbosch67

Incised brown ground base fake mark Kangxi reign period. With some research chinese vase seems to be end 19th century. Am I right??

Stan

I believe that this is called a Nankin, the crackle glaze was there specialty, they were made that way with the crackle, I think that this would be early republic.

peterp

This would be late Qing dynasty (Fangge crackle ware). The lion decoration at the neck points to a slightly earlier manufacturing time than most of this type.
Please be careful when buying such vases. In this case the vase body is old, but with many on the market today the warrior painting was added at a later time, and there also are more recent vases with a similar decoration.

Stan

hoogenbosch67

Thanks can you tell me a little bit more about the mark (attached better picture) I cannot find a equal looking mark. Greetings

peterp

It seems to be a badly written Kangxi mark. This type of vase usually does have an apocryphal Chenghua mark in most cases. But all marks on this type of vases are usually period marks of much earlier times.

Stan

Hi Peter, I thought this type of vase was called Nankin ware is that wrong?

peterp

Stan, I know the use of the term "Nankin" only in Japanese, where it seems to point to porcelain made at Jingdezhen. Nankin usually means Nanjing... the old capital in southern China.