Monochrome Vase

Started by kardinalisimo, Feb 12, 2015, 10:32:02

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Not sure if the shape is Chinese. Maybe Japanese or Korean ? Or not Asian at all?

peterp

I would be careful with this, whatever this is. Look at the glaze in the bottom picture, please...if viewed with a magnifier, does it look as if the glaze surface was damaged? To me it does. Glazes that were "treated" frequently look like this. Not quite sure, though, because usually the treated surface is more dense. Acid treatment can make it look this way.

kardinalisimo

I can't tell if it was treated because I am not sure what to look for.
At first I thought this and few other areas were not covered by the glaze completely. But after you comment I've noticed that those areas are glossy and the bisque is not exposed. Does this mean that there is a second transparent glaze over?

peterp

Possible.  Does it only look like it, or are there crackles in the green glaze? If yes, use a needle and see if you can feel the crazing. If there are crackles but you cannot feel them, then another layer may have been added on top.

kardinalisimo

There are crackles. I get a 'feeling' with a needle but not sure if from the crazing or just from the scratches on the surface.