Roof Tile Ornaments

Started by kardinalisimo, Mar 31, 2015, 21:33:15

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Do these have some age, maybe late Qing/Republic?

peterp

The bottom one looks fairly new, the others perhaps a few decades. My personal opinion.
When collecting this type of item I would look for those with definitely good age signs.

These decorations are still being made and the newer ones have little collecting value. Each temple has them in quantities. These items are exposed to the elements all the time and should show clear age signs. They are often glazed earthenware rather than porcelain.

kardinalisimo

Thanks Peter.
I do believe the immortal on the donkey is newer than the others.
You are right that if they were used as roof ornaments they should show quite of age signs but I also think that a lot of people who imported those either hang them on their walls or put them on stands.

peterp

The problem is who should import this? Normally, a workshop would make them to order for a specific temple. They are not sold elsewhere except perhaps when a temple is torn down or the roof decoration must be changed because of damage, in which case there again would be clear age signs. Everything that is new and elsewhere made may not have been made for temples but for tourists, I'm afraid.
You see I am sceptical. ??? Jiaozhitao, here in Taiwan is specialized on these figures. The real old ones are very costly and rare, even here, where they are made, although they are only 20th century.