Celadon Plate Identification

Started by Aun, Mar 29, 2015, 15:22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Aun

Hello there! I've recently inherited some pieces of Chinese ceramics and need your valued opinion / input wherever possible. Thanks in advance.

This plate measures 37cm in diameter and 6cm in height. The pattern on the plate is etched. It has signs of chipping, cracks. Early 20th century perhaps ?

Aun

Some more pictures...

peterp

Your dating is probably correct. In these pictures it looks as if the foot rim is straight up, both on the outside as inside.

Lucy

Lovely piece! I think of modern pieces as having much more green in them (almost a yellowish cast) ,yours goes more towards blueish white from the pics,it also looks more thinly potted ,and the "carving " inside looks nice to me, but I am not an expert. I have however looked and owned both modern and old pieces over the course of 40 years, though the footring color is a bit on the bright side, that could possibly be a good thing (I know photos don't always show true colors ,though) good luck! I hope it's a "winner"!

Aun

hi lucy, thanks for your comments. This is a crash course in chinese ceramics really as I have recently inherited these as part of my grandmothers collection. I am slowly taking pleasure in enjoying these as display pieces!