Large rose medallion vase

Started by Stan, Mar 25, 2015, 02:52:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is another large vase from the antique shop, Im thinking by the hand painting and the translucent colors and not very many age signs that this would date to the Republic period 1912 - 1949 maybe the earlier part, there is a couple of areas that have a bright cobalt blue color that could but later in the republic period, the vase is 61.6 cm tall and is very heavily potted, please let me know what you think, I normally do not collect the rose medallion items but this one is very nice, there is also the sides of the vase are slightly fluted, I will post 12 photo's for you to view, thanks.

Stan

Here is another set of photo's to view.

Stan

Here is the last set of photo's, thank for viewing.

peterp

Any signs of over-painting or later adding to the decoration, Stan?  Due to the decoration at the neck I would think this would have to be late Qing, but several of the colors, especially the robes, point to the 20th century.

Stan

The robes do not look to be over-painted just where the darker blue color highlighted around the rocks, that looks like it could be over-painted it is thick just in those areas.

peterp

The bright blue and bright green are hardly possible before the republic period. What I meant to ask is not if there is thick enamel, not over-painting of that sort, but rather repainting or over-painting of thin areas. Are there any ages signs or abrasion in certain areas, while there are none at all in others? Something where the latter could have been redone while some of the older parts were left as is. Any?
The shape of the "ears" could be Qing dynasty, and the abraded gilt on them looks older than that of the gilt on the butterflies; I cannot see much pointing to age on the people either.

Stan

The yellows in the clothes appear to be more detailed the the clothes in the red and blues, it does not appear like anything has been over painted, the people waring the light greenish yellow clothes appear to be more glossy the the other clothes, it looks like it was all painted at the same time, some of the enamels are dull and some are shinier than others, I will post closer pictures to see if you can see something I can't, thanks.

Stan

Here is more photo's, the blue is much darker and the reds are more red than these photo's, the lighting is not good but I think you can see how it was drawn and painted.

peterp

Nothing visible of over-painting, Stan. But the colors still point to the republic period. Some colors just did not exist (or were not used) in the Qing dynasty.

Stan

I agree thanks, thanks Peter for all your help.