Green Kangzhi 4-Character Marks?

Started by Kaaren B., Aug 16, 2023, 06:50:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaaren B.

I recently purchased this locally, it was one of a pair. I was surprised to see green Kangzhi marks on the back, and an extensive search on the web brought up only two identical instances of same, on similar items, one on Etsy and one for sale on Chairish, both priced in the hundreds of dollars (I paid nothing of the kind). I don't suppose for a moment that these are genuine Kangzhi marks, but was intrigued enough to ask if anyone has ever seen green Kangzhi marks before, and if so, what actual period they might indicate? Thanks!

Stan

Hi Kaaren, You are right about the green mark, this is a first for me, traditional jars from the Late Qing had blue or red marks, so the question is, is it late Qing, If it was from the Kangxi period the top and shoulder would be unglazed so is this a Guangxu revival, Im thinking later 20th century, lets see what Peter says.

peterp

You just beat me to it, Stan. 
To my knowledge there were never any green marks in imperial times. That and the bottom point to the 20th century. Another feature is unusual for Chinese wares; the green shoulder decoration would be normal on Japanese porcelain, but not on Chinese antique wares.

Kaaren B.

Thank you both, Peter and Stan, this is pretty much my own guess. I get most of my stuff from yard sales, thrift shops, and consignment shops, so I'm a piker. Only once have I picked up something for very little worth several hundred, and that was $8 in Habitat for Humanity's shop, a genuine New England Pottery coffee/chocolate pot from their Japonaise/Chinoise period about 1880, in mint condition. I enjoy these outings and my pretty things, and use them as learning experiences. I am so glad to have found a place to deepen what is really nascent knowledge. Kaaren