This was sold to me as a provincial Ming piece

Started by RhbBtv, Mar 15, 2023, 21:36:24

Previous topic - Next topic

RhbBtv

Hi there,

Just came across this forum, what a fantastic wealth of information you have here. Wonderful.

I was hoping I could get your opinion on a piece that was sold to me as provincial Ming. I tried looking for similar pieces online but I cannot find any. Thank you in advance.

peterp

Not sure what "provincial" should mean in relation to Chinese ceramics, but probably that was to indicate that it was made for the common people? 

The dragon does not look like a Ming dynasty dragon, the color is a type of gray/grayish that is not right for any period. While antique glazes seldom are a pure (snow) white but have some hue, such a dark glaze is not normal.  The painting itself looks a bit too crude. Not sure what painting tool was used, but the brushes used in those times do not result in such a look of the strokes, not even with wares made for the average population. It looks as if the strokes might have been drawn with a felt pen or similar tool.
I'm afraid I have to tell you that this is neither Ming nor anything antique. Looks like a fake made to give the appearance of some age.

RhbBtv

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, much appreciated. I suppose provincial is meant as opposed to imperial, yes. I was afraid it may not be a genuine piece.

Thanks again!