Republic period

Started by rgomes10, Nov 13, 2021, 01:15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

rgomes10

Hello!
Is the bowl from republic period ou later? Can you help, please?
Thank you so much.
Best regards,
RGomes

peterp

The quality of the glaze of this item very nice. The sgraffito style is unusual, none of those commonly found on private kiln wares. In my view this could only be either imperial ware or from the 20th century, but probably after the republic period, because of its quality, and because of the type of mark used.
While quality and style of the glaze could mean it is imperial, this type of mark it would have to be Qianlong or Jiaqing reign, in my view. However, the glaze inside is white as snow, this makes it less likely to be from that period, as such whiteness was not common on wares of that time. Qianlong marks are also more likely under the glaze.
About 5% of items I see online cannot be evaluated by pictures alone. This means a hands-on inspection and use of glaze magnification (checking glaze bubbles) etc. are necessary to make sure, as no age or usage traces are visible.
To me the white glaze is more likely pointing to a later 20th century manufacturing period, but I would recommend to have someone experienced near you do a hands-on inspection to make sure.

rgomes10

Hello!
Thank you for you kindness and knowledge.
Best regards,
RGomes