Red plate origin

Started by peterp, Nov 29, 2020, 19:19:44

Previous topic - Next topic

peterp

After having this plate for many years I am still unable to pinpoint the origin of this plate. The red color and rim decoration resemble somewhat a Japanese type, but the Yin-Yang symbols and pomegranates are typical Chinese. I do not remember ever having encountered a pomegranate in a Japanese decoration. In Chinese its symbolism is "many children and grandchildren".

The underside looks considerably old, about 17th century I have been thinking, with uneven glaze areas and a foot rim that is slanted on the inside and outside. Not a typical Japanese foot rim. On the other hand, the outer rim is slightly rounded, which is unusual too.
I have been thinking that it might be from the Shunzhi reign originally, because plates of that reign show chrysanthemums more often than any reign in the Qing dynasty, but I still have doubts that it is Chinese. Could it be Japanese?

Has anyone ever seen such a plate?

Stan

Hi Peter, it would be very unusual if Japanese, I have not seen pomegranates either, I thumbed through my books to make sure and did not find any, is the red color an Iron red, or a Copper red, the red looks awfully bright like a copper red, if it is I do not think the Japanese used copper reds in the 17th or 18th centuries I could be wrong about that but I am only familiar with the Iron red on Japanese.

peterp

Thanks Stan, so doubts remain. I think I had this plate for about eight years, but never saw anything similar. The glaze on the underside looks really old, and some of the colors have a shine of nacre when viewed at an angle.