Identification Chinese vase

Started by josy2000, Oct 18, 2020, 19:02:20

Previous topic - Next topic

josy2000

Hello, can somebody tell me something about the Chinese / Japanese vase. Age,
origin etc. The vase has been in our possession for 75 years or more. Thanks a lot
Josy

peterp

Cannot tell what it is, but this is probably not a completely original item. This vase was likely remade or over-painted at the neck. The neck might not be original. The white glaze at the mouth and the one of the lower body are different tones. This may point to a repair or completely new neck being added. The decoration is Chinese style at the bottom, underglaze blue, while it is something different altogether, including the enamel decoration. The latter could have been used to hide a repair.
I would also like to point out that the mark characters are completely unreadable either in Japanese or Chinese. The person scribbling that may not have been able to write Chinese (Kanji) characters at all. Which again means that the mark was probably added at a later time too. If you scratch the mark with a needle, it might show that the red color is on top of the glaze. Normally, underglaze blue decorations have the mark also in blue below the glaze.

josy2000

Hello, ok the vase is a fake, if i got it right :-(
Thank you for the answer and information. Greetings from Germany Josy