Chinese rouleau vase.

Started by Stan, Jul 16, 2014, 04:32:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, taking the pictures of this vase shows more scratches than I thought there was, it looks like someone cleaned it with a brillow pad or something, I should have looked at it under a loop, I would not have purchased it, I will post 16 pictures for your viewing, thanks for your expertise, but I think I know what your going to say.

Stan

Stan

Last set, thanks again Peter.

peterp

Stan, I have the feeling that the type of blue pigment is not right for the period. There was a type of bright blue pigment existing for a short time, only during the Kangxi period. It disappeared before the end of the reign. Not sure if it could be this, but I doubt it. Kangxi blue would be a bit darker, I think.
I also feel uncomfortable with some details of the people, like the wrinkles on the neck of the sitting female, the ears of the boys, etc. In those times they did not pay attention to those details.
And, do you know that reign marks on minyao porcelain did only exist in the early Kangxi reign? That was the time when the court was busy fighting the remnants of the Ming resistance...they had not time to look after details of arts and crafts.
Afterwards, it was forbidden for private kilns to use reign marks, so such a mark would most likely mean it would have to be imperial. I doubt it is...

Stan

Hi Peter, the blue is a little darker, it was 100% today and I could not get the right color, a lot of the pictures came out purple, thank you for all the good information I will study it, thanks again.