Chinese antique b/w water dropper.

Started by Stan, Jul 10, 2014, 07:27:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, this is a small water dropper, it is 9.144 cm tall, the color on the bottom is all the same, there is a shadow that makes it look like a deferent color but it is just a shadow, I think it is 18th century but I am not sure, I think the bottom decoration might be peaches but not Im not sure, your expertise is appreciated, thanks.

peterp

The foot looks indeed as if it were 18th. Could even be on the earlier side, judging by the way the petals are painted. Not sure where you think there might be peaches, to me this is all flowers.

This is a little vase, not a dropper, I think. With a dropper you would have a small hole somewhere on the body, to control water flow.
Such small vases were usually coming in pairs, and they were located on the house altar.

Stan

wow, thats great, I guess that makes more since than peaches, I could not figure what it was thanks peter, I have seen larger ones for sell with the exact shape, and the sellers thought it was a water dropper, the seller that I bought this from said it was a water dropper, but I have never seen one before other than a large one that someone thought was a water dropper, thanks for setting the record straight.

Stan

This came from a collection of chinese porcelain that was documented in 1940, the collection was sold at auction recently, this was the only thing I won at the auction.