Blue/White cosmetic box

Started by JjGhandi, Dec 19, 2019, 04:40:31

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hello everyone,

I intend to pick up this blue/white box on Sunday.
Since I'm an extremely novice enthousiast I can't place it at all, but it feels really genuine.

I believe I've seen the hue before on early 18th century wares before but I can be mistaken.
The double rim on the bottom is the only thing I haven't seen before and for me the only worrying point.

What are your thoughts?

Pics can be found here: imgur.com/a/r4UKvx3

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

JJ

peterp

I would recommend not to buy it. This is not an antique, it is a fake.
First, the underside: painting on the underside is usually branches, leaves or similar, which are easily recognizable as such; here the painting is too crude. Further, a double foot rim on a porcelain box?  Double foot rims were mostly used on chargers in the Kangxi reign, namely those with a large bottom, to give additional strength and prevent sagging of the bottom. The foot rim color looks dyed. It does not become like this due to age.

Then to the top: from the look of the decoration there is a high probability that the contours in the decoration were transfer printed, and then the fillings and some other painting was done by hand. This would only have been possible in the 20th century, in China. Also, please look at the feet of the ducks - they have the common feet of birds, three toes in front, one in the back. However, ducks have only three toes, all in front, with skin in between.
All this makes it look as if this item is low quality mass production, I'm afraid.

JjGhandi

Hi Peter, thanks again for your great expertise.
The world of fakes really goed to an unkown extend.

Thankfully I'm able to rely on excellent knowledge on this forum otherwise I'd be broke long ago :)