Monochrome chinese bottle vase

Started by calder, Aug 18, 2019, 06:35:43

Previous topic - Next topic

calder

What are peoples opinions on this vase?
I am thinking Qing.
Old degree of oxidation I think in glaze?

Stan

Hi Calder, is that the true orange color around the foot rim, it almost looks like it was added, have you looked in the inside with a light to see if the inside looks recent or is their dirt that has been there for long periods of time, if there is no dirt I would think 20th century but if there is dirt that looks like it has been their for long periods of time it would probably be late Qing.

calder

Hi Stan,
The colour is slighly less orange than in the picture.
I could'nt really see into to it as it is quite narrow at the neck  (vase is only 6" tall)
Got inventive and taped a cotton bud onto a stick gave it a good twist.
Some dirt.
Thank you Stan.

Stan

Hi Calder, when I am inspecting a vase that I am thinking of buying, I carry a miniature flashlight to look in side and if it looks as shiny as the out side with no dirt it is more than likely more recent made, porcelain that is antique should have some dirt that has lodged into the pitts, cracks and unglazed areas and it would be hard if not impossible to remove, that to can be faked  so we look at the whole, back to  the flashlight you can also spot cracks in the porcelain and on thiner items the repairs if any, you would be surprised how many cracks and repairs I found doing that.

peterp

Hi, I know this type of glaze mainly from the late Qing dynasty, perhaps early 20th c.  However it appears mainly on storage jars. The orange line along the glaze edge should be showing the glaze before and after firing, that is, the glaze retracts somewhat during the firing process, whereas oxidation of iron content is exposed. Usually the line is thinner and less pronounced, especially at the end of the Qing dynasty.

calder

Thank you both for the useful  information.