[Qing?] bowl

Started by Isaac1998, Dec 27, 2017, 19:25:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac1998

I bought this from an antique dealer today in Beijing. When I bought it, I thought it was a fairly modern copy (he said it was early Qing), but didn't mind because I liked it.

When I got home and cleaned it up I became unsure. The dirt & signs of the age on the bottom won't wash off with warm water (see pics in link for before and after cleaning) and now I'm not sure what to think. I get a good feeling from the bottom but am not sure whether the glaze is too unblemished. There are a few minor scratches and one hairline crack, but it is otherwise in good shape.

The jiangding seal also raises questions. I only realised, also, when I had returned home, that this was a fake Jiangding seal; and could only find one example on the internet of it being used (on a genuine Song bowl).

I'd appreciate feedback on this one as it really has gotten me stumped.

Better pics
drive.google.com/drive/folders/19Xfec1Mj_32N9iKo2SD-Y3t5Xlu985yf?usp=sharing

peterp

I can not tell for sure if this is old. Never saw one like this. It appears to be imitating the lingzhi decoration, that was made throughout the Qing dynasty. The shape would point to Jiaqing, but the color is too bright, in my view. Also note that the lingzhi shapes are not recognizable as such. Again, I do not know this.
Judging by the blue it might have been sometime in the first half of the 20th century when it was painted, or it might be using an undecorated old body that was painted like this.

Isaac1998

It's quite a mystery.

I think you are right regarding the decoration. For a while I wondered whether it was a Tibetan or Sanskrit character but lingzhi seems to fit the bill.

The more I look at the glaze up close the more I come over to the belief that it is not modern. You are quite right, though, that the blue is rather bright. I have not been able to find pics online of other bowls this shape.