Chinese Porcelain oil Lamp or incense burner

Started by gregarts, May 10, 2014, 14:00:26

Previous topic - Next topic

gregarts

Hello,
I am not sure if this is a Chinese oil lamp or an incense burner.  It is porcelain with a beautiful hand painted scene and what looks like a poem.  Could you tell me how old or what period it could be?  Thank you so much in advance.

peterp

Looks like a censer. This is Qianjiang porcelain. The cyclical date would correspond to 1923, it seems. Painted by a Luo Shu.

gregarts

Thank you so much for the information.  I have three Chenghua marked cups .. one is a chicken cup but I think the painting is too crude to be real .. The other two have birds and could be good.  I will post pictures this week for your expert opinion as you are so fortunate to be so knowledgeable.  May I ask if you are so knowledgeable whether you are still collection fantastic pieces of Chinese Porcelain?  It must be easy for you to find valuable pieces to collect I wish I had your knowledge.
Greg

peterp

No, it is not easy to find authentic items,  much less valuable ones. For those I would try international auctions.
Chenghua cups? I would forget about them. There was one auctioned last month in Hong Kong for a seven digit figure. I was told that there are only three or four out there that appear occasionally in auctions, a number is in museums. Most of the rest is fakes. The more expensive an item is, the more fakes are on the market, it seems...