2 Fencai Plates - Republic Or Earlier?

Started by kardinalisimo, Apr 26, 2014, 11:53:51

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Any help with figuring if they are Republic(Early, Late?) or Late Qing? The pieces are about 6 1/2" in diameter. The foot rims are oblique on the outside and straight on the inside
Thanks

peterp

Neither republic nor late Qing...this is 18th century. This type of foot rim and the burst bubbles in the bottom confirm that the decoration is from that period.

kardinalisimo

I read the topic about the Imari plate, where you were discussing the foot rims. I am really surprised that I could not find a source that classifies the feet of the plates during the different dynasties. I remember you had a little argument about the export plates having different bottoms. Were there any exceptions? Also is the rule only about certain kind of plates? There is a plate on the Koh website described as Kangxi and having straight rim. But the piece is a bit deeper.
http://koh-antique.com/history/historyqing.htm

shelley Kong

kardinalisimo

What do you mean don't look Chinese? Like, what does not look right to you?

shelley Kong

I am not expert enough to explain but my instinct tells me so.

GerryG

These are as Peter says, export famille rose plates made in the late 18th century. The foot rim is straw coloured, the decoration of floral sprays interspersed with gold with a predominant pink/rose typical of that period. the rim of the plate is also gold which is a good indicator of late 18th century. The hue of the gold is darker and deeper with more of an orange tint which indicates age. These are a good pair of typical export porcelain plates from that period and without doubt were made in China.

peterp

Shelley, on export porcelain with floral decorations you will find: virtually 100% Chinese decoration (means all decoration elements are Chinese, but were made exclusively for export; 100% European decoration (looks exactly as if it was made in Europe), this is mostly found with floral motifs, or a mix of these. You may also sometimes find colors used that are otherwise hardly found on Chinese taste decorations in the 18th century...