Help With Age Of Finely Painted Porcelain Vase

Started by kardinalisimo, Feb 13, 2014, 10:40:38

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Hi,
Need help with approx. age of the piece as well as style of decoration and the motif of the scenes. It is about 9 1/2" tall.
Thanks in advance!

peterp

I'm afraid this may be 20th century, perhaps a more recent fake. It is difiicult to be  100% of this however, without hands-on ... This would be Tongzhi reign, approximately, if antique. I cannot see any significant age signs, nor any usage traces, except the gilt, and that is easily rubbed off anyway, new or old.
The colors are too strong for Tongzhi fencai decoration, although the decoration is painted in that style. The colors look more like the "new colors" (aka new fencai) which were developed in the early 20th century and are generally stronger, brighter. The same type as used with your porcelain box.
Period fencai colors are softer and semi-transparent, a quality which this decoration is lacking at least in some parts.

There are many new items using this style on the market now. I would advise against buying items of this type, if they do not show clear usage signs or wear. They look usually very convincing.

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the reply.
Actually the colors are similar to the one on the box but here they are a bit stronger/richer.
What are the signs of age and wear I should look for? There is some where on the bottom ring and the body has some firing flaws but that is all I can say. No flaking or chips on the paint.
By saying recent fake does this mean that the vase could not be from Republic Period? You said the the 'new fencai' was used during that time. I would expect a reproduction aiming to fake Tongzhi and later to be with same kind of fake mark and has purposely browned bottom, somehow to be made to look old. At least here I don't see any attempt for fake aging on this vase.  Is not it true that a well made porcelain will look almost as new even after hundreds of years? I guess it will still has some signs of age but not that obvious?

peterp

Age signs (example):
gallery.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/republic_porcelain_dish.html
Scratches are usage signs that should be present if an item has ever been used. Check with a magnifier.
This gives you a good overall view what fencai decorations of the Tongzhi/Guangxu period look like, and their semi-transparent enamel: tinyurl.com/l9apk2l
(Please note, that individual items may be newer, but those I looked at on this page seem mostly to be antique.)

kardinalisimo

I was checking the piece again and was wondering if the gritty foot rim was done on purpose? It is so uneven that the vase wobbles when you touch it.