Chinese Vase

Started by Purdy, Jun 11, 2016, 23:53:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Purdy

Can you tell me anything about this vase, which I recently purchased.  I didn't know there was a hole in the base.  Can anyone tell me why that would have been done, its age or anything else about it?  Your advice  would be much appreciated.

Stan

The hole is for a lamp and it looks like it was make with the hole in it, it was not put in after which leads me to believe it was made late 20th century possibly even later.

Purdy

Many thanks for you reply Stan, but there is damage to the inside of the vase where the hole has been drilled, so it seems it was made at a later date. 

I am sure you are right that it was drilled so it could be made into a lamp.  But why would you do that because surely it would always lean to one side? 

Does anyone know that manufacturers mark, and how old the vase might be?

Purdy

Many thanks for your reply Stan, but there is damage to the inside of the vase where the hole has been drilled, so it seems it was made at a later date. 

I am sure you are right that it was drilled so it could be made into a lamp.  But why would you do that because surely it would always lean to one side? 

Does anyone know that manufacturer's mark, and how old the vase might be?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Stan

If around the hole, inside has chips around it, then it was drilled for a lamp, the mark is a spurious Kangxi artemisia leaf and the crackle on the bottom is not from age, it was made that way.
The photo's you have are to small to tell just how old your vase is, if you would send some close up pictures of the detail that would help, thanks.