Help with 2 beautiful blue & white jars

Started by tipton444, May 23, 2016, 06:46:38

Previous topic - Next topic

tipton444

Hello all,

This is another piece from a closed down Asian antique gallery near me.  Some of the man's items were incredibly high end, as he was a regular at Sotheby's, but he also had some random low-end pieces.  I am not familiar with this marking on the bottom, so I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out?  Also, any information on the style, design, and age would be incredible appreciated.  Thanks

i63.tinypic.com/hwbx2q.jpg
i68.tinypic.com/347h408.jpg
i66.tinypic.com/21cik2t.jpg

Also, while I'm at it... I got this jar at the same time.  I originally thought it was from the Kangxi period, thinking the hallmark was the mark of the fungus, but now I believe I am wrong.  Can anyone help with this one as well? 

i67.tinypic.com/ouwm08.jpg
i64.tinypic.com/15odrnn.jpg

Stan

The first one marked VOC, I would not buy it, and the second one the photo is so poor I can not tell what the actual blue color is  and the bottom looks like the glaze contractions are induced.

peterp

Marks are useless for dating or identification with Chinese ceramics.
It looks as if there was enamel or something protruding on the glaze. If that is the blue color, this could not be possible at all with underglaze blue. It should be completely smooth.
The second jar could have been overglazed/repainted, but anyway, both are not antiques. The glaze necks should be unglazed if they were from the Qing dynasty.