Pair Blue & White charger plates ( Cock fighting)

Started by Andy Dorset, Nov 05, 2015, 02:12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Dorset

Dear Peter,
its been a year since my last postings and now all the local Car Boot Sales have dried up for the year I have some enquiries for you. I will not bombard you with too many at once I will let them flow at a trickle! Some of the items may not even be Chinese ( one of which I will show you today) so please feel free to have a little snigger at my expense. Its good to have a laugh after all!
Will start with two plates ( guess would be described as chargers at 12 inches in diameter). They do appear to be a pair although have slightly different designs. My favourite is the one that depicts comical Road Runner type birds which I am guessing represents a Cock fight.
I am certain they are Qing period and hoping possibly early to mid 18th Century? Please be as ruthless as you like, I never spend any more than ?10 on any of my items so I shan't cry myself to sleep!
Best regards, Andy

peterp

Yes, 18th century, probably Kangxi reign.

Not fighting cocks, though, probably. Fighting cocks are a breed that looks quite different from the normal chicken breed cocks, especially when they are in attack mode.  :-)

Andy Dorset

That's great news Peter, I was hoping Kangxi but I could not be sure. The one with the bird is great fun. Thank you again for your time and comments. Best regards, Andy