Another vase I found at same thrift shop.

Started by alliececilr, Jul 15, 2015, 22:56:39

Previous topic - Next topic

alliececilr

This black vase was another find.  I am new at this but love asian art.  I am trying to learn.  Thanks

alliececilr

Here is another picture of black vase.

Stan

This looks modern to me, I would say late 20th century.

Stan

This picture looks a little better for age, I wonder if it could be an old vase that was redecorated.

alliececilr

Thanks Stan.  It is hard to figure out.  The vase has iron spots and some different size scattered holes in glaze.  I buy them to study and learn.  They only cost a few dollars.  I found some old ginger jars today and will post later.  They are probably fakes but still interesting.

alliececilr

Thanks again Stan.  I wonder about that too.  Why would anyone do that?  I guess it suited their decor.

Stan

Usually it is redecorated to make it look more desirable to sale, and sold as antique, I do not no if that is the case here but from the picture in looks like it could be late Qing but the shape looks unusual and the decoration looks modern, I wonder if the top could have been cut off, if maybe it could have had a flared rim at one time.

alliececilr

I am a teacher and may have to use this vase as a little mystery for students:)  I keep thinking that if I check out the junk,  one day it could help me recognize a treasure.

peterp

The foot rim is 20th century in any case. However, the slanted inner face of the foot rim may mean it might have been machine made or injected. Judging by the shape this could as well be Japanese. The decoration has no specific traits in either direction.