Small Water Dropper

Started by kardinalisimo, May 09, 2015, 10:50:34

Previous topic - Next topic

kardinalisimo

Not sure if water dropper is the right term as it has only one hole at the spouse.
Do you think it is Chinese? If so, possible age?
Thanks

peterp

kardinalisimo

About 4" in diameter, 2 1/2" from the floor to the spout.

peterp

Not quite sure what this is, but I haves some doubts that it is a water dropper. Usually these have a small spout or whole, to allow for control of the water quantity that is poured unto the ink stone.

kardinalisimo

The author of this website states that some vessels with only one hole are described in the British museum as water droppers but he doubts that.
www.orientalceramics.com/index.php/shipwreck-ceramics/

So, Peter, do you think it is Chinese? Guess on the age?

peterp

There 'may' be some droppers with only one hole, but usually there is a small one to put the finger on for the purpose of controlling the water.
That is not the point here, however. The mouth is too large to control the amount of water properly.
Not sure where this is from, and what this is. The shape is reminiscent of an urinal, though. Those have only one hole too, and that was the reason for my question regarding size. The only use I could come up with is that of a small oil lamp.  That would explain the wide mouth and the single hole.

Unfortunately, the incised circular/spiral lines in the bottom and the nipple in the center could mean this is not that old, despite crackles and all. Those scratches point to some tools that may not have existed in dynastic times.

Ragna

Hello, I don`t know anything about chinese ceramic, I'm only a student. But  I have an antique  european ceramic bed warmer, to fill with hot water. Its looks similar, so I can imagine. that this is perhaps also a bed warmer.
What do you mean?

peterp

China never had bed warmers of the sort Europe used. Then this is too small, and there is no screw-on lid to stop the water from running out. And what would the spout be for? A protruding spout is detrimental to its use.

Stan

I think it is a humming bird feeder, the red spots represent flowers and the handle is centered to hang in a tree.

kardinalisimo

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never seen a hummingbird feeder but looked at some images and appears that the standard feeders would have very small holes on the body.
Oil lamp sounds like a good possibility.

Stan

Yes, I think I was stretching it a little.