Fencai / Grisaille vase

Started by Stan, Feb 21, 2015, 01:43:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter this was a lamp, I would say by the looks of the cord the brass and the shade it was probably made into a lamp about 70 years ago, I had the hole on the bottom repaired I think it looks better without the hole, the bottom foot is unglazed and stained from when it was painted, for such a little vase it sure has a lot going on, it is very detailed,  and Im not sure if Grisaille is the right term but all through the vase there is drawn in different shades of black and different seines as well as the Fencai decoration, I purchased this at an antique show two months ago and just got it back from being restored on the bottom, I notice the in one of the photo's 10 jpg, that there is writing on a scroll that is the only marks on the vase the bottom was unmarked, please let me know what you think of age and what the writing says, I will post 16 photo's to view, thanks again.

Stan

Here are more photo's to view.

Stan

Stan

Here is the Last set of photo's to view, The size of the vase is 26.67 cm tall, thanks again.

peterp

Fencai is the correct name, for Grisaille most of the color should be gray/black.
First, that is not a scroll in the background. From the look of it it is either a wooden or lacquer tablet/board with an inscription. Its meaning could be translated as "a level further up".
This is Qianlong reign. Don't rub the gilt and black decoration, and avoid touching them too much. These colors get abraded too easily. Most of it is still in an acceptable condition now.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I will handle with care.