Insight on Possible Chinese Bowl?

Started by ckan, Feb 25, 2014, 07:34:15

Previous topic - Next topic

ckan

All, I am a new member to the blog trying to figure out what I have in my hands.  I have read the blogs and, based on the advice given, I will find an appraiser locally that is experienced in the area of Chinese Ceramics.  My search has already begun.  My goal is not to sell but to know what we have so I can be more knowledgeable in how to care, display, and possibly insure the bowl. 

I have attached two photos -- any insight would be appreciated.  If a different view of the bowl is required please let me know..  Thank you... 

peterp

Probably 20th century. The hairdo of some of the ladies is republican period. The black rim decoration is unlikely from the Qing dynasty. The foot rim and mark look as if they were made in the 20th century too, despite the Qianlong mark.
Nicely painted decoration.

shelley Kong

The picture seems to depict a scene from the Chinese classic " The dream of the Red Chamber"

ckan

Thank you for your insights.  This was an India family heirloom that had been well guarded until given to me for safekeeping.  I have the original round tin box it was stored in - very rusty and falling apart.  A slip of paper inside the box had the date of 16?? on it (i don't recall the last two digits).  I am searching the house for the tin box so i can review it again.  I did not store the bowl inside the tin box because i was worried about the rust hurting the bowl. 

I am surprised that it really is not that old but...you all have much more experience than my small amount of research.  And I appreciate your wisdom and review of the bowl...

I have one other ceramic item that i will be posting that i receive through the same method - it is a ceramic figure.  I need to work on the photos a bit more to condense.