Old Clay Pot

Started by Brattso, Dec 03, 2014, 11:19:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Brattso

Stan

Hi Brattso, I have an old red clay pot that is indeed Chinese painted with a brown glaze, the one I have I purchased from an antique deal that specializes in Asian porcelain, the one I have he bought in China in the 40s, is yours a red clay underneath the brown glaze?

Brattso

Hi Stan it looks like reddish clay, there is also a plate that goes under it.  Under pot shows white here are some photos.

Stan

These photos are not the best, usually if the unglazed area on the rim and on the lid rim would indicate porcelain, if you klick it with your finger dose it give a sharp sound or a dull sound, if sharp sound it would be porcelain and not clay, if a dull sound it would be more of a stoneware clay composition, the pot it self looks more Western than Chinese, I do not recognize the shape, it certainly in not traditional Chinese, the brown color was the same color as the one I have from the 40s, however mine has a decoration that is unmistakably Chinese carved in to it, I am not that experienced with vintage ceramics, but after looking at all the photos I doubt that it is Chinese, I have seen large pots like your made in the U.S. with the same handles.

Stan

Sorry I did not finish my sentence about the unglazed areas on the foot rim and the lid rim, if it is white like it appears in these photos it is more than likely porcelain, the finger trick will confirm this.