Identify marks.

Started by Stan, Nov 17, 2014, 01:47:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I am thinking of purchasing this charger, the antique dealer says that it is Kutani but I can not find any marks like this, could you please tell me what the Characters say, this is the back side of a Japanese Charger, thanks Peter for your help.

peterp

Stan,????? means Arita Official Kiln (official kiln is what some call imperial kiln with Chinese porcelain; the Chinese meaning is actualy "official" kiln).
I don't think there was really an "official" kiln in Japan, but the mark might have been used. I have to try to find information on the Japanese internet.

peterp

To follow up on this, the term "official kiln" was never used on Chinese porcelain, as a mark, as far as I know. We only use it when talking or writing about such a kiln.
auction and similar sites, that are selling such items.

A blog mentioned a possible relationship to Nabeshima fief kiln. The kiln of the Nabeshima clan, which as far as I know had a special relation to the shogunate and may have produced porcelain to the shogun in Edo. But, this is not a proper official kiln per se. Question, is your item of the Kakiemon type?
Others mentioned in the relation were early Imari, and a kiln name that may have once existed, but may have changed. Fukagawa was mentioned, but nothing concrete about the kiln. There is little information, and what there is seems unreliable.
is too confusing.

Stan

Hi Perter, thank you for checking that for me, here is the front of the charger, The decoration looks like Fukagawa to me and in my books, kutani, Nabeshima, or Kakeimon do not resemble this type of decoration, this is a very large charger measuring 64.7 cm wide and looks old, the foot rim and back look like it could be late Edo to early Meiji period.

peterp

I do not understand enough of Japanese porcelain. This is confusing.
The Nabeshima Fief kiln and Nabeshima kiln may be different entities. Kozan is also mentioned in relation to the Fief kiln. Anyway, several kiln names unknown to me were mentioned, but no concrete or reliable information.
Nice charger, by the way.

Stan