identification Please???

Started by abderrahim, Apr 27, 2024, 06:16:20

Previous topic - Next topic

abderrahim

please is this chinese porcelain. ??? If so, what is his age. Thank you.

peterp

No it is not Chinese, it is Japanese.  And it is not antique. This is a porcelain container for liquor and the label mentions the shop or manufacturer, the address, alcohol percentage etc. in Japanese.
83. 3. seems to be the date of manufacture.

Again, this is not an antique item, the writing imitates some rustic or artistic calligraphy.

Stan

This is a Japanese Sake bottle with cup.

abderrahim

Hi Peter and Stan, Thank you very much for your response

Stan

Hi Peter, I know that the Japanese make Sake, Do the Chinese use it, I have never seen a Chinese Soke bottle.

peterp

Hi Stan,
Basically, in Japanese "sake" can mean alcoholic beverages in general. But it also indicates rice wine, specifically. And that, as far as I know is not a traditional Chinese beverage.
But speaking of traditional usage of alcoholic beverages Japan did not have wine from grapes in ancient times, while the Chinese apparently had fermented wine.  It might be that in China this depends on the region, as rice growing is major factor and that would perhaps not be possible in the north, but it is in the south. Nowadays they will probably have anything available as elsewhere.

Stan

Thanks Peter that is good to know, Sake is Rice Wine, I think I have a Chinese wine pot, I posted it a long time ago.