霽红釉Ji red glaze Vase

Started by john8888, Apr 15, 2024, 00:07:21

Previous topic - Next topic

john8888

Diameter: 8 cm high 28 cm
The emergence of red glaze can be traced back to the early Northern Song Dynasty.
But the truly pure and stable red glaze is the bright red that was first fired in the Ming Dynasty;
During the Jiajing period, vitriol red with iron as the coloring agent was created and burned.
Bright red is a high-temperature glaze, and alum red is a low-temperature glaze.
During the Xuande period, the number of red glaze products not only increased significantly, but also outperformed Yongle bright red, with names such as goose ruby red, sacrifice red, Jihong, Jihong, drunken red, bright red, chicken blood red, and ox blood red. A wide range of new varieties.
The back number indicate the size of vase during Young.
But the truly pure and stable red glaze is the bright red that was first fired in the Ming Dynasty;
During the Jiajing period, vitriol red with iron as the coloring agent was created and burned.
Bright red is a high-temperature glaze, and alum red is a low-temperature glaze.
During the Xuande period, the number of red glaze products not only increased significantly, but also outperformed Yongle bright red, with names such as goose ruby red, sacrifice red, Jihong, Jihong, drunken red, bright red, chicken blood red, and ox blood red. A wide range of new varieties.
The back number indicate the size of vase during Young ???

peterp

Originally, I intended to explain that this vase looks as if it could be late Qing dynasty...but instead I wish to comment on the number. 
Apart from certain Jun wares I never heard of any numbering, but in this specific case it seems safe to say that:
(1) the number was made after firing. Normally anything would be added 'before' firing, as the clay would then not be hard, and (2) the number was added using a rotary tool as the rounded ends show. Hand-carved strokes usually have pointed ends due to the tools used. (3) this was added on a finished, fired item a the gray clay shows. Normally, it would be covered by the glaze.