Rose Canton plates

Started by Adriano, Apr 18, 2020, 18:29:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriano

I have a couple of Rose Canton plates, with similar decoration, that I have identified as second half of 20th century.
However, looking carefully at the bottom, I guess they could be older, possibly Republic period.
They are all hand painted, apart from the internal Greek decoration that could be printed.
Please let me know your comments.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Adriano.

Adriano

Looking the Greek decoration with a magnifier, it seems hand painted too.

Stan

Im thinking that this is an old plate that has been redecorated at a later date, I can't say that I have ever seen a Ruyi band on a Rose Medallion plate, I agree 2nd half of the 20th century.

Adriano

Thank you Stan, really this band is not common for Rose Medallion decoration.

peterp

Hi Adriano,

At first it seemed old, especially the gilt is the dull type, while many 20th century items with this decoration have a bright gilt.
But, there are two things to consider. First, the connection of the foot rim to the base area is rounded instead of a corner, which usually means an item is not that old. And second, if you look closely at the contours of similar details some look as if they are transfer printed. They are too similar...more so than with hand-painting.
(For example, the detail given below is exactly equal to that on the opposite side, even the faint parts are on the same side.)

Adriano

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the useful considerations.